Why this? Why now?

I have given a great deal of thought to whether or not a blog is right for me. I have been on an amazing journey - some of it very sad, some of it profoundly joyful. Transformation is possible - I know because it is happening with me.

I can't say for sure when it all started, other than it started happening with tremendous regularity upon my 40th birthday. This may be a rather normal occurence - you reach a certain age and start wondering if this is all there is in life. Am I doing what I'm meant to be doing? Are my beliefs real - what are my beliefs exactly?

Here's a smattering of the journey -

I got a divorce and began to discover and explore life from a much different perspective.

I began thinking about my health and researching and reaching out to learn things like: what I should be doing to avoid heart disease. The book, The China Study, changed my life. I am now a vegetarian. This also led me to quit smoking....and finally to stop drinking, too (I don't care what the studies say - just eat the grapes instead).

I have embarked upon an incredible spiritual journey - from a comparative religions class, to studying Ayurvedic living (of which I'm now studying to become an instructor), to learning more about Buddhism, and, as documented here in my blog, an active study of A Course In Miracles.

I am in a place in my life where I finally recognize very consciously that what I put in my mind and in my body is what comes out. As I am reminded most days when listening to Deepak Chopra's soul affirmations, "My body is the garden of my soul."

May I be of vessel of spirit, of loving-compassion.

Yes, I do think a blog is right for me. Thank you for joining me.
Namaste,

mac

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 99 - Lesson 98

I will accept my part in God's plan for salvation.

First off, I struggled with this - because really how do you not accept God's plan for anything?  But then I realized I spent most of my life not accepting anything about God.  So, while God's plan won't change whether I accept it or not, my acceptance only enriches my life and soothes my soul.

This lesson required five minute practice periods every hour.  I thought about this lesson a lot....more than five minutes every hour - I think.  I am reading David Simon's The Ten Commitments and this lesson made me think of the second commitment - I commit to authenticity.  He opens with a poem from Hafiz:

God disguised as myriad things
And playing a game of tag
Has kissed you and said,
"You're it - I mean you're Really IT!"

This poem speaks to my heart.  When Love, Source, God is in our hearts miracles are evident everywhere.  It's impossible to look about and not see them. 

I am a bath taker.  I love baths.  I used to lounge in the tub and say to myself, "mac, you have been given this wonderful body that works, all your limbs work, you can see, you can hear, you can talk and even sing, so why do you abuse it so?  Why do you drink and smoke?  Why don't you eat better?"  I would usually do this about half-sauced - smoking and drinking while I was lounging there in the tub.  I was in a fog, on auto-pilot, and talking without taking any action.  I was miserable.  I could 'pretend happy' pretty well around others, but I wasn't happy.

And then one day, I chose to begin eating better.  Another day, I chose to stop smoking.  Yet another day, I chose to quit drinking.  I also chose to stop drinking coffee.  And then I chose (though I'm still working on this) to stop cursing.  And then, I started to really open up to allowing the miracle of God into my heart.  I began to see myself as a spark of divine.

My life isn't perfect; my life is a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment