Why this? Why now?

I have given a great deal of thought to whether or not a blog is right for me. I have been on an amazing journey - some of it very sad, some of it profoundly joyful. Transformation is possible - I know because it is happening with me.

I can't say for sure when it all started, other than it started happening with tremendous regularity upon my 40th birthday. This may be a rather normal occurence - you reach a certain age and start wondering if this is all there is in life. Am I doing what I'm meant to be doing? Are my beliefs real - what are my beliefs exactly?

Here's a smattering of the journey -

I got a divorce and began to discover and explore life from a much different perspective.

I began thinking about my health and researching and reaching out to learn things like: what I should be doing to avoid heart disease. The book, The China Study, changed my life. I am now a vegetarian. This also led me to quit smoking....and finally to stop drinking, too (I don't care what the studies say - just eat the grapes instead).

I have embarked upon an incredible spiritual journey - from a comparative religions class, to studying Ayurvedic living (of which I'm now studying to become an instructor), to learning more about Buddhism, and, as documented here in my blog, an active study of A Course In Miracles.

I am in a place in my life where I finally recognize very consciously that what I put in my mind and in my body is what comes out. As I am reminded most days when listening to Deepak Chopra's soul affirmations, "My body is the garden of my soul."

May I be of vessel of spirit, of loving-compassion.

Yes, I do think a blog is right for me. Thank you for joining me.
Namaste,

mac

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 12 - Lesson 12

This lesson continues the idea that we see what we think - what we perceive. In fact, this lesson nudges us farther along in reprogramming and suggests that we think we see something (a violent world, a crazy world, a dangerous world), but we are upset because we see a meaningless world.  As this lesson also states, we give the world these attributes, these, labels, but the world is meaningless in itself.  We identify and assign the value.

I posted a Martin Luther King, Jr. quote on Facebook today:  "We are inevitably our brother's keeper because we are our brother's brother. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly." This quote resonates with me from the surface to deep within. 

I am a smiler.  I smile and say hello or somehow acknowledge virtually every person I pass by - obviously if I'm in a big crowd of people I can't acknowledge every single person - but I do sincerely make an effort to do this. Usually when I smile at someone they smile in return.  There are those occasions when someone doesn't smile back.  I used to catch myself getting irritated with that person.  Actually, not just irritated, I would get rather unreasonably perturbed!  I've been trying to practice a new approach though.  Now when this happens, I say a silent prayer for the person who wasn't able to smile back in that moment.  I pray that whatever is keeping a smile from that person's face isn't keeping joy from his or her heart. 

2 comments:

  1. i love that about you! i try to do it as well, because i know that when i am the person that can't smile in that moment, their smile burns through me eventually and then i can smile at someone else. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, for sure!! I think it's so good to look a complete stranger in the eyes and smile from deep in your heart!! People feel that!! If it happens in a sad moment for them they can play that memory later and maybe then the smile appears.

    ReplyDelete