Why this? Why now?

I have given a great deal of thought to whether or not a blog is right for me. I have been on an amazing journey - some of it very sad, some of it profoundly joyful. Transformation is possible - I know because it is happening with me.

I can't say for sure when it all started, other than it started happening with tremendous regularity upon my 40th birthday. This may be a rather normal occurence - you reach a certain age and start wondering if this is all there is in life. Am I doing what I'm meant to be doing? Are my beliefs real - what are my beliefs exactly?

Here's a smattering of the journey -

I got a divorce and began to discover and explore life from a much different perspective.

I began thinking about my health and researching and reaching out to learn things like: what I should be doing to avoid heart disease. The book, The China Study, changed my life. I am now a vegetarian. This also led me to quit smoking....and finally to stop drinking, too (I don't care what the studies say - just eat the grapes instead).

I have embarked upon an incredible spiritual journey - from a comparative religions class, to studying Ayurvedic living (of which I'm now studying to become an instructor), to learning more about Buddhism, and, as documented here in my blog, an active study of A Course In Miracles.

I am in a place in my life where I finally recognize very consciously that what I put in my mind and in my body is what comes out. As I am reminded most days when listening to Deepak Chopra's soul affirmations, "My body is the garden of my soul."

May I be of vessel of spirit, of loving-compassion.

Yes, I do think a blog is right for me. Thank you for joining me.
Namaste,

mac

Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 10 - Lesson 10

Lesson 10 focuses on the idea that our thoughts do not mean anything.  Again, continuing the process of clearing my mind from old beliefs - a voluntary reprogramming.  I think it is healthy in the spirit of true self-reflection to observe my thoughts and consider the possibility that some of them are not helpful, are not accurate, are not even real.
So, aside from practicing lesson 10 from A Course In Miracles, I was reminded that today is the Law of Giving - this law has made me love Mondays (when I remember to apply this law).  Deepak Chopra wrote a beautiful book (okay, he's written lots of them), but in this case, I am refering to The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success.  This law encourages the practice of recognizing dynamic exchanges in giving and receiving.  Chopra suggests that we do simple things like giving the gift of a compliment, flower, or prayer to every person we encounter and to graciously receive gifts bestowed upon us.  This dynamic exchange keeps the abundance of the universe circulating in our lives.  I have noticed that when I am faced with a challenging person, if I place my attention in my heart and say a prayer or think of a good quality I know that person possesses, my interaction, about 99% of the time, is more positive than it is negative.  When I actively practice this, I am able to remove that part of me that wants to judge the other person - I recognize there is absolutely no value in me feeling superior to another human being.

This law also reminds me of an exercise I participated in while attending Perfect Health last summer at the Chopra Center.  Name five qualities you especially appreciate in others - what five qualities would you most like to have?  Name five qualities that you really dislike in others - five that you most certainly would not want to possess.  Of course, we possess all of the qualities that we name - good and 'bad.'  I think the challenge is to act upon those qualities we want to emulate, to actively model them, and to recognize - to observe when we are either being irritated by or are actively modeling those we dislike in others.  I have found that I'm observing myself and asking myself a whole lot more often, "What is it about this behavior that is bothering me; why am I acting this way?"  Paying attention to this stuff, to these thoughts and feelings, and recognizing them is making me a kinder and gentler person.  I am also walking around with a bigger smile, less stress, and I genuinely want to hug everyone.  I want everyone to feel loved - because you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment