Why this? Why now?

I have given a great deal of thought to whether or not a blog is right for me. I have been on an amazing journey - some of it very sad, some of it profoundly joyful. Transformation is possible - I know because it is happening with me.

I can't say for sure when it all started, other than it started happening with tremendous regularity upon my 40th birthday. This may be a rather normal occurence - you reach a certain age and start wondering if this is all there is in life. Am I doing what I'm meant to be doing? Are my beliefs real - what are my beliefs exactly?

Here's a smattering of the journey -

I got a divorce and began to discover and explore life from a much different perspective.

I began thinking about my health and researching and reaching out to learn things like: what I should be doing to avoid heart disease. The book, The China Study, changed my life. I am now a vegetarian. This also led me to quit smoking....and finally to stop drinking, too (I don't care what the studies say - just eat the grapes instead).

I have embarked upon an incredible spiritual journey - from a comparative religions class, to studying Ayurvedic living (of which I'm now studying to become an instructor), to learning more about Buddhism, and, as documented here in my blog, an active study of A Course In Miracles.

I am in a place in my life where I finally recognize very consciously that what I put in my mind and in my body is what comes out. As I am reminded most days when listening to Deepak Chopra's soul affirmations, "My body is the garden of my soul."

May I be of vessel of spirit, of loving-compassion.

Yes, I do think a blog is right for me. Thank you for joining me.
Namaste,

mac

Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 133 - Lesson 132

I loose the world from all I thought it was.

I read and re-read the title of this lesson several times.  I had to say it over and over.  Something about it just didn't sound right.  It starts out by saying: What keeps the world in chains but your beliefs?  And what can save the world except your Self?  Belief is powerful indeed.  The thoughts you hold are mighty, and illusions are as strong in their effects as is the truth.

A bit later it says: The present now is the only time.  Here in the present is the world set free.  For as you let the past be lifted and release the future from your ancient fears, you find escape and give it to the world.

The thing that was especially great about this lesson....as I read it over and over, is that today, Friday, is the day we honor the Law of Detachment.  The two lessons combined helped me to really get this, to really focus on it today.  Plus, I had several encounters that supported this lesson.

I had a long and lovely chat with a super special young woman today.  A young woman who has had more than her fair share of challenges.  She said something about how during a long drive she started thinking about how long it was going to take to get to her destination.  She then realized that instead of focusing on her destination she would start appreciating everything about getting there.

I had another chat with another super special young woman today.  A young woman who is facing a few challenges that are complicated.  She is strong, smart, and talented.  She faced a situation today that she could have easily given in and not pursued a direction that was important to her.  She could have done this because giving in would have been the path of least resistance.  Instead she held firm in her direction and let go of another person's expectations.

I met up with a friend I hadn't seen in a long while.  He shared a sad tale about some health problems he had experienced earlier in the year.  He shared frustrations with his job.  He talked about how life is a grind and wondered when he would catch a break, when he would be able to just enjoy life.  He reached across the table and said, "I need some spirituality."  This provided a great opportunity for me to share just a little bit of my journey.  I hope this was helpful to serve as a beacon of hope for this friend. 

There is freedom in appreciating the present, staying in the present, and shining the light of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment