Why this? Why now?

I have given a great deal of thought to whether or not a blog is right for me. I have been on an amazing journey - some of it very sad, some of it profoundly joyful. Transformation is possible - I know because it is happening with me.

I can't say for sure when it all started, other than it started happening with tremendous regularity upon my 40th birthday. This may be a rather normal occurence - you reach a certain age and start wondering if this is all there is in life. Am I doing what I'm meant to be doing? Are my beliefs real - what are my beliefs exactly?

Here's a smattering of the journey -

I got a divorce and began to discover and explore life from a much different perspective.

I began thinking about my health and researching and reaching out to learn things like: what I should be doing to avoid heart disease. The book, The China Study, changed my life. I am now a vegetarian. This also led me to quit smoking....and finally to stop drinking, too (I don't care what the studies say - just eat the grapes instead).

I have embarked upon an incredible spiritual journey - from a comparative religions class, to studying Ayurvedic living (of which I'm now studying to become an instructor), to learning more about Buddhism, and, as documented here in my blog, an active study of A Course In Miracles.

I am in a place in my life where I finally recognize very consciously that what I put in my mind and in my body is what comes out. As I am reminded most days when listening to Deepak Chopra's soul affirmations, "My body is the garden of my soul."

May I be of vessel of spirit, of loving-compassion.

Yes, I do think a blog is right for me. Thank you for joining me.
Namaste,

mac

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 201 - Lesson 200

There is no peace except the peace of God.

I think the most beautiful piece of poetry in this lesson is this:

Now there is silence.  Seek no further.  You have come to where the road is carpeted with leaves of false desires, fallen from the trees of hopelessness you sought before.  Now are they underfoot.  And you look up and on toward Heaven, with the body's eyes but serving for an instant longer now.  Peace is already recognized at last, and you can feel its soft embrace surround your heart and mind with comfort and with love.

Today is the day we honor the Law of Least Effort.  As usual, this lesson complements the law of the day.  In this law we recognize that when we fight against what is real, what is meant to be, when we attempt to force solutions, and feel compelled to defend our point of view - well, everything is just hard and often doesn't work out at all in the ways we worked so hard to achieve.  It's when we release the need to force solutions, and defend our point of view, and choose love that life comes together with greater peace.

When I arrived home this evening, after my wet walk, I was just sitting down and settling in for the evening, and my iPhone dinged alerting me that I had a new email message.  I opened it up and instantly felt constriction in my chest, my jaw set with a slight grind on my teeth, and the start of a headache.  This person had responded to an email message I sent that had a report attached to it.  The reply came across in a way that suggested I hadn't made a recommendation - this person was making the recommendation, with the rationale for it included, and copied it to someone that: 1. did not see the original message, and 2. did not need to be included.  As I felt my irritation, I glanced over at today's lesson and was reminded that there is no peace except the peace of God.  I asked myself:

Why does this irritate you?  Because I already did the work and made the recommendation.  I just needed this person to acknowledge that.  I don't need this person copying it to this other person that isn't even involved.  And, at a minimum, this person should have responded to my original message.  At least that way the person she copied it to would have the benefit of being aware of my message.

The more this played out in my head, the more ridiculous it became.  My ego (edging God out) was really bothered and was attempting to goad me into going along.  Of course, clearly, I did go along....for a short period of time.  I realized that this person's response has nothing to do with me.  I did my part and I feel good about it.  This person agreed with my recommendation using the same rationale I used in my report.  So, instead of tightening up and feeling constricted - I let it go.

As this lesson says, as it closes -

There is no peace except the peace of God, and I am glad and thankful it is so.

No comments:

Post a Comment