Why this? Why now?

I have given a great deal of thought to whether or not a blog is right for me. I have been on an amazing journey - some of it very sad, some of it profoundly joyful. Transformation is possible - I know because it is happening with me.

I can't say for sure when it all started, other than it started happening with tremendous regularity upon my 40th birthday. This may be a rather normal occurence - you reach a certain age and start wondering if this is all there is in life. Am I doing what I'm meant to be doing? Are my beliefs real - what are my beliefs exactly?

Here's a smattering of the journey -

I got a divorce and began to discover and explore life from a much different perspective.

I began thinking about my health and researching and reaching out to learn things like: what I should be doing to avoid heart disease. The book, The China Study, changed my life. I am now a vegetarian. This also led me to quit smoking....and finally to stop drinking, too (I don't care what the studies say - just eat the grapes instead).

I have embarked upon an incredible spiritual journey - from a comparative religions class, to studying Ayurvedic living (of which I'm now studying to become an instructor), to learning more about Buddhism, and, as documented here in my blog, an active study of A Course In Miracles.

I am in a place in my life where I finally recognize very consciously that what I put in my mind and in my body is what comes out. As I am reminded most days when listening to Deepak Chopra's soul affirmations, "My body is the garden of my soul."

May I be of vessel of spirit, of loving-compassion.

Yes, I do think a blog is right for me. Thank you for joining me.
Namaste,

mac

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 33 - Lesson 32

I have invented the world I see.  The lesson also says: "You can give it up as easily as you made it up.  You will see it or not see it, as you wish."  Sometimes I totally get this....and sometimes I don't.  I don't believe that I can give it up as easily as I've made it up.  Maybe by the end of this course I will have done that - that's kind of the point actually.  I am practicing and working diligently at living life in a way that honors love.  I am making progress.  I certainly feel less fear and anger.  I am more calm.  I am able to detach more easily.  I am more open and less critical.


In my studies this evening, I read about informal meditation. The concept of informal meditation is the ability to be mindful - the practice of mindfulness - at any time of the day or in any activity.  An example of our impatience and even downright anger over life's delays, like heavy traffic causing us to be late or waiting in a long line.  It's at those very times that it's important to take the opportunity to be mindful, to be present in the moment, to remember that this is our life - this very moment of waiting or delay is our life and we serve ourselves so much better by not wasting it on anger, frustration, and impatience.  Instead we can choose to focus on our breath - celebrate the fact that we are breathing, list those things in our minds for which we are grateful, smile.  Smiling always makes us feel better.  Smiling, in fact, is an instant way to feel better.  Practice smiling not just from your lips, smile with your eyes, feel your smile lighten your body from your eyebrows all the way to your toes. 


The world I've invented looks so much brighter when I smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment