Why this? Why now?

I have given a great deal of thought to whether or not a blog is right for me. I have been on an amazing journey - some of it very sad, some of it profoundly joyful. Transformation is possible - I know because it is happening with me.

I can't say for sure when it all started, other than it started happening with tremendous regularity upon my 40th birthday. This may be a rather normal occurence - you reach a certain age and start wondering if this is all there is in life. Am I doing what I'm meant to be doing? Are my beliefs real - what are my beliefs exactly?

Here's a smattering of the journey -

I got a divorce and began to discover and explore life from a much different perspective.

I began thinking about my health and researching and reaching out to learn things like: what I should be doing to avoid heart disease. The book, The China Study, changed my life. I am now a vegetarian. This also led me to quit smoking....and finally to stop drinking, too (I don't care what the studies say - just eat the grapes instead).

I have embarked upon an incredible spiritual journey - from a comparative religions class, to studying Ayurvedic living (of which I'm now studying to become an instructor), to learning more about Buddhism, and, as documented here in my blog, an active study of A Course In Miracles.

I am in a place in my life where I finally recognize very consciously that what I put in my mind and in my body is what comes out. As I am reminded most days when listening to Deepak Chopra's soul affirmations, "My body is the garden of my soul."

May I be of vessel of spirit, of loving-compassion.

Yes, I do think a blog is right for me. Thank you for joining me.
Namaste,

mac

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 222 - Lesson 221

Peace to my mind.  Let all my thoughts be still.

Upon waking this morning, I read this lesson and kept it in my awareness during my meditation.  Of course, I had no idea how it might come in handy today.  As it happens, it came in handy more than once. 

I had an incredibly busy schedule today from early this morning until just about 20 minutes ago.  I knew it would be a bit of a struggle to get everything accomplished on my agenda.  The fortuitous event in my favor today is that it is The Law of Least Effort.  So, that was also in my awareness - to remember not to force solutions, but to allow life to occur as it does in nature without me fighting it.

My day went smoothly and I got a lot accomplished.  Even though I still have about an hour's worth of work to do, I feel peaceful and content.  Two things occurred today for which this lesson was especially helpful. 

The first was the phone call (voice mail message) from my doctor.  I have been concerned that I may be going through menopause.  Even though I'm a little young for that.  My doctor and I ruled out all the other possibilities first.  He left a voice mail message and said, "Well, your blood tests do indicate menopause; your estrogen levels are extremely low."  So, the weight gain, the hot flashes, the night sweats, and the fact that I haven't had a period (except for one light and spotty one) since December....in combination with this blood test all add up to menopause.  I'm not sure how to feel about this - like I said, I feel a little young for this.  I didn't have time to talk to my doctor about it and I'm not really in a rush to do so.  I plan to experience this new stage of my life as naturally as possible.

The second was at my board meeting tonight.  I am new to this board; this was my third meeting as a board member.  I was nominated to serve as board president and so was the current board president.  We voted three times and finally decided to postpone officer elections to the next meeting in hopes that two missing board members would be in attendance.  I had mixed feelings about the nomination and I expressed those feelings to the board.  While I believe I would be a good board president, I'm new and I'm incredibly busy.  I also believe in leadership in every chair and know I provide value in my role as a general board member.

The big thing about these two occurrences is that I really did feel at peace about the information.  My mind was peaceful and my thoughts were still.  I felt the start of a twinge of competition over the board nominations, but as soon as I acknowledged it I was able to release it. 

I received a good bit of advice today, a reminder that I have very little control over anything, and the best mode of action is to release and ask that, "thy will be done."

No comments:

Post a Comment